Friday, February 25, 2011

Quotes To Inspire

Oh my, our blog is starting to get more traffic.
Thanks to those of you who visit this site monthly and or weekly, your views and comments are much appreciated. For you first time readers, this is our Neighborhood Association blog. We active citizens in the Omaha Deer Park neighborhood wanted to start a site that would allow readers to learn of the things occurring in our neighborhood. On this site you can learn of not only the things we are doing to improve our community, but the concepts and ideas that spur our ambitions. I started this posting group called Think Tank to share the different scholars and teachings I am using to implement new growth strategies in our neighborhood.  
In this month’s Think Tank I wanted to share some timeless teachings. Now I know that there are a few renditions of the preceding quotes, but please do not get a hang up on if it was quoted perfectly. All these quotes have been written in several versions of their according texts. Personally, I recite a saying or proverb in my mind on an hourly basis, not sure why. I often wonder if others do as well, I bet you do. Regardless, the following quotes are ones that I think to myself on a monthly if not weekly basis. I hope they motivate you as much as they do me. Enjoy!

"Do all the good you can, and make as little fuss about it as possible." - Charles Dickens
While the spirit of neighborliness was important on the frontier because neighbors were so few, it is even more important now because our neighbors are so many.  - Lady Bird Johnson
"Only a life lived for others is a life worthwhile." - Albert Einstein
“One generation plants the trees; another gets the shade. “- Chinese Proverb

“...A community needs a soul if it is to become a true home for human beings. You, the people must give it this soul.” - Pope John Paul II
“When you cease to make a contribution, you begin to die.” - Eleanor Roosevelt

"Some people give time, some money, some their skills and connections, some literally give their life's blood. But everyone has something to give." - Barbara Bush
"The best way to find yourself is to lose yourself in the service of others." Mahatma Gandhi 



"To give, and not to count the cost  to fight, and not to heed the wounds,  to toil, and not to seek for rest,  to labor, and not to ask for any reward, “ — St. Ignatius of Loyola

“The first question which the priest and the Levite asked was:  "If I stop to help this man, what will happen to me?"  But... the good Samaritan reversed the question:  "If I do not stop to help this man, what will happen to him?" - Martin Luther King, Jr.

"I am only one, But still I am one. I cannot do everything, But still I can do something; And because I cannot do everything I will not refuse to do the something that I can do." - Helen  Keller


“We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give.”  -Winston Churchill

"I know of no great men except those who have rendered great service to the human race." – Voltaire 

“We cannot seek achievement for ourselves and forget about progress and prosperity for our community... Our ambitions must be broad enough to include the aspirations and needs of others, for their sakes and for our own.” -
Cesar Chavez

No comments:

Post a Comment