Saturday, July 2, 2011

Cultivating Community Leaders 2011 is Going Great!!!

Hey Everyone,
I wanted to take a moment to give an update on our Cultivating Community Leaders (CCL) project. First, let me tell you a little bit about the program. The main goal of CCL is to connect a new generation of neighborhood leaders to the resources, contacts, and hands on education they will need to continue to transform our South Omaha community. Having worked with South Omaha neighborhood leaders for the last 4 years, I can not express how much I have learned from my community teachers. Last year I decided to set out on making sure that many others had the same opportunity to learn these skills that I had. You can read the previous CCL blog post to learn more.

We did have to adjust the program a bit to include a different group of kids. CCL is now working with Metro's (MCC) Bridges to Success program, but guess what, about half of the CCL volunteers are not even in the Bridges to Success program, they are friends of the Bridges kids and all wanted to spend their summer making a difference in our community.

I have worked with these youths for over  five weeks on several community projects. By my rough estimates, together these young adults have logged in more than 300 volunteer hours in the Deer Park neighborhood. For the first CCL project, we are working with Habitat for Humanity Omaha and the Neighborhood center on a housing study.  The objective of this study is to learn of the exterior housing conditions in our neighborhood. When applicable, we are referring neighborhood property owners to agencies and programs that could aide them in repairing their homes.

This is just one project, so please come to our Deer park meetings or email me at oduran@habitatomaha.org to learn more.




No comments:

Post a Comment